Friday, September 30, 2011

Interviews are his Favorite.

This week my dad agreed to let me interview him. I have to say that I think he is hilarious.
Too bad so much of the good stuff was "off the record."
I don't know if I love our conversation or these awesome pictures I found more.
So, needless to say, there is a lot of both.
And if you have any questions for my dad- leave a comment and I'll ask him...
but I cannot promise he will answer- at least not "on the record."
Me: Hi Dad. Thanks for agreeing to this interview. I hear you are a big fan of my blog. Is that true?
Dad: Very true. I read it all the time.
Me: Really? Thanks! Do you have a favorite post?
Dad: Mmmm... Let's see... (long pause).
Me: Do you remember a post? Any post?
Dad: I like the ones about the kids. They are funny. The post about Craig Thompson made me nervous.
Me: You think Craig Thompson reads my blog?
Dad: No.
Me: So you think my kids are funny. They are a little crazy. Do you have any parenting advice for me?
Dad: Put them to bed early and get them up late... No, I'm kidding. My advice is I think you need to let the kids be kids while they're kids.
Me: So what do you do for a living? My readers might not know. I'm not sure if I've mentioned it.
Dad: I am a basketball coach.
Me: What made you want to do that?
Dad: I didn't want a real job- where you have to produce things. I wanted to keep playing basketball, and I couldn't play so I decided to coach.
Me: So what has kept you coaching?
Dad: I really enjoyed doing it.
Me: Best part of your job:
Dad: The relationships with my players and coaches. And my wife's cookies she makes after we win. That's the best part about my job.
Me: Worst part of your job:
Dad: Media.
Me: So like being interviewed? :) So is there any chance BYU is getting invited to the Big 12- just in case you want to break the news on my blog- now's your chance.
Dad: I'll just quote President Samuelson on this one- When he was asked his thoughts on the Big 12 he said, "If you're holding your breath waiting for us to go to the Big 12, you better be prepared to turn blue." Or maybe it was... he said something like that.
Me: Do you remember when I played at BYU and would hang out with you in your office. You would come in to use your computer and I would be working on a paper so you'd have to go use someone else's computer. Those where the days...
Dad: I miss those days. Tay never goes to my office, and I have a way bigger office now with a big screen TV- it's a nice place to hang out. I even have a refrigerator in there.
Me: Do you remember when I used to move stuff on your desk to see if you would notice?
Dad: I would always notice and I knew you were trying to bother me.
Me: Did it bother you?
Dad: No, I just put it back (me: and he would put it back IMMEDIATELY, by the way) because it looked better that way.
Me: You do like things organized. Remember when you got a poster board and wrote "HOUSE FOR SALE- call 628-4037" and put it in the window because Garrett and I wouldn't clean our rooms?
Dad: I remember that. That was a good one- almost as good when I made you and Garrett get out of the car on the side of the freeway on the way to Lake Mead.
Me: I remember that. I think I was pretty much hysterical and G just started walking. I was kind of a high stress child though.
Dad: You didn't exit the car as quickly as G. He thought it was a good idea.
Me: Garrett and I are pretty much polar opposites, personality wise- Is Taylor more like me or G?





Dad: Tay is more like you, but she does have a lot of G in her too. She stresses over stuff like you do, but gets over it quickly like G.
Me: Besides buying Taylor a Lexus when she turned 16- what is different about parenting Tay in high school and me and G when we were in high school?
Dad: The Lexus was a purchase for the family. It is the family car. She has permission to drive it. The biggest difference is my job requires much more travel, so she stays with people while mom and I travel. Plus, I think the Tracer had a little more pick-up than the Lexus- G's intrepid was way faster...
Me: Where's your favorite place to travel to?
Dad: New York City- That's where your mom has the most fun. Oh, and I'll always like Denver. We won those two games there.
Me: Where's the worst place to go?
Dad: Detroit. Maybe New Orleans.
Me: And you are going to New York next year for a tournament in Brooklyn at JayZ's brand new arena. Is there any chance that I could get an interview with JayZ for my Friday Interviews? Or maybe Beyonce.
Dad: You would have to ask Brett Pyne about that.
Me: Who are the other teams playing in that tournament?
Dad: I cannot comment on that.
Me: Can I ask some "yes or no" questions to see if I can guess?
Dad: I don't think so.
Me: Does one of the teams rhyme with "Puke"?
Dad: ...
Me: And that wraps up the interview with my Dad. :)
***
But here are the favorites:
Favorite Food: Mexican
Lime or Lemon: Lemon
Favorite Song or Artist: Freebird, Leonard Skynard
Favorite Book: The Holy Bible
Favorite Child: ...
Favorite Arena: The Marriott Center
Favorite Airport: Provo Airport-
There's nothing like private air travel
Favorite Presidential Candidate for 2012: Ronald Reagan
Favorite Game: Gonzaga
Favorite Girl: Cheryl
***
Thanks Dad! I know you hate stuff like this, so thanks for being a good sport. I know I don't get to see you as much as I'd like and I wish I could still come hang out in your office. But when I do come to visit with my girls- they make sure to rearrange EVERYTHING- the trophies, autographed basketballs, dry erase markers, game plans, computer mouse and remotes- and you could to come in and put everything back- just like old times...
***
Stay tuned for next weeks interview with my MOM!!!
And if you missed last weeks interview with Brock, you should check it out.

3 comments:

Angela and Mike said...

haha, I love it. I can't wait until you interview Annie or Kate. Those are going to be hysterical.

Stephanie said...

I love this chanell. Us family don't get together enough. I LOVE these interviews. You are AWESOME.

Cheryl Ann Rose said...

Great interview! Great guy!