Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Hunt.

 Easter Saturday was pure excitement at our house.
The girls wore their new outfits.
The were not weather appropriate, but I refuse to dress my kids like it's winter on Easter.
It's the principle of the matter.
 We went to the neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt.
It's the best thing about our neighborhood.
You drop off eggs on Friday and you show up to the hunt on Saturday.
 Before it started, I gave Annie some strategy pointers- just coached her up a little.
I told her to sprint past all the other kids and she'd have all the eggs to herself.
 Brock had to keep chasing Tessa down because she kept jumping the gun and running towards the eggs.  The kids would all start screaming hysterically that she wasn't supposed to go yet! So Brock would go grab her and then Tessa would start to cry.
(Please ignore the guys with his hood on and the kids with parkas and gloves... it wasn't too cold to put your two year old in shorts. It was downright balmy.)
 FINALLY... they let the two year old go- and she was off!
 Past the eggs...
 Past me...
 Heading straight for the park.
 Up the stairs... past more eggs...
Straight to the SLIDE!!! She didn't pick up one egg. The entire time she was running she was just trying to get to the slide... I was laughing so hard- I was crying.
 By the time I caught up to Annie she was finished.
My strategy tips worked perfectly.
I told her to throw an egg on the ground and pick it up so I could take a picture.
She rolled her eyes. She does that now.
(By the way, the only downside to the neighborhood hunt is that they count the kids and divide the eggs among the kids so each kid gets the same amount of eggs- all fair and equal in our neighborhood.  Fair and equal is nice, but not exactly as much fun as a competition. There was one big problem and that was that each kid was allotted 12 eggs, so our family allotment was a total of 36 eggs. But we dropped off 96 eggs, so some of those kids were free loading off of us. Brock gently suggested I not ask any kids if they were sure their mom dropped off eggs before the hunt.
 Kate protested this injustice by gathering 38 eggs.
I started panicking when I saw her basket and I heard some mom say, "My little boy only has two eggs."  So I started throwing her eggs back onto the grass and she started crying.
Then I remembered that Tessa didn't pick up any eggs at all, so I let a few extra slide. 
Annie had twelve eggs on the dot in her basket. She follows rules like her mother. 

Kate quickly forgave me for throwing her eggs out of her basket because she's a sweetheart like that.
She wasn't as forgiving when I made her give 12 eggs to Tessa in the car.
Did I mention that Tessa and Kate fight now?

Brock and I spent the rest of the morning arguing about the Easter Bunny.
I told him that the Easter Bunny needed to go shopping.
He told me the Easter Bunny already bought the girls new clothes and new dresses.
I told him that the Easter Bunny was bringing treats and toys and an Easter Basket.
He told me that the Easter Bunny was buying a new house this year.
I told him that the Easter Bunny was going to look like a jerk if he brought all the other kids Easter Baskets and didn't bring anything to our kids.
He relented and took the Easter Bunny shopping.
Plus I think sometimes he just thinks it's fun to argue with me about stuff like this.
He's hilarious like that.
And Eve slept through the entire morning in the car.
But don't worry she had a new Easter outfit too. 

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Very cute, funny post. So hilarious that Tessa went straight for the slide. And don't worry I'm only judging you a little bit for dressing your kids in shorts.

k8theriver said...

so funny.
i have that pink cardigan. i'll mail it. sometime.