Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Dayton.

Earlier in the year I promised myself if my dad's team went to the tournament I would go.  Because let's face it... it is not EASY getting into that stupid thing and this year we almost didn't make it and who knows if we will ever make it again because it is hard.  But I wasn't exactly expecting them to play on Tuesday. In fact I'm not sure I actually realized that could happen because I kind of forgot about those Tuesday games. So, after the show on Sunday I frantically did laundry and packed blue and white stuff while Brock booked the flights. I called almost every single friend I have and asked major, major favors and the next morning I was on a flight with Kate and Eve. Kate was so excited and Eve screamed the entire flight. I avoided eye contact with all passengers and apologized the the flight crew. Twice.
But we made it to Dayton. We got off the plane (and my hair immediately started sucking thanks to the humidity), hopped in a taxi and went straight to practice.
We watched Iona practice.
They had so much fun. There coach was smiling and joking.
Then BYU came out.
And my dad made them run. A lot.
I called Brock and told him about practice.
He said, "Well, let's just hope he doesn't line them up and make them shoot free throws."
Because when they miss- they run.
Players hate that.
But we didn't have to run, so we had fun.
Eve slept most of the time we were there because she was exhausted from all that screaming on the plane.  But then she woke up and we took pictures.
 Tuesday was game day.
We all wore blue and white because really that was all I packed.
We went to an outside mall and it was warm and beautiful and humid.
My hair was not cute.
 Kate and I got pedicures.
So did Jimmer's fiance, Whitney. Kate thought she was a movie star.
By the time we were finished getting pedicures, Kate that she was pretty hot stuff too.
 We went to the game with the cheerleaders and band on their bus.
The Secret Service would not let anyone off the bus.
Even the team.
My dad was not happy.  I'm afraid Obama might have lost my dad's vote.
But "My Mama loves Obama" so he can still count on her.
(p.s. I think Obama is cool. He is nice to his wife and his two girls. He likes basketball. And he seems like a good guy.  Plus, I'm the type who likes America and has a lot of respect for the office of the President of the United States.  So I am not cool with hating him.  I thought it was so rad to be at the same game as him... even if I could barely see him and his Secret Service would not let me or my favorite team off the bus.)
(p.p.s. The Secret Service that went through my bag was totally confused by some of the baby paraphernalia I had in there- including the baby spoon holder.  It is hot pink and opens up to hold three spoons.  He was totally inspecting it because it looked suspicious. Then he figured out what it was and was embarrassed.  I felt bad for him because I promise you there was not a single person in that building that had more stuff in her bag than me.)
(p.p.p.s. I like Romney too. Don't hate me like you hate Obama.)
So back to the game and the Cougars.
The first half they were down TWENTY-FIVE points.
Some of the thoughts that went through my mind were:
a. I wonder if this looks as bad on TV as it does live.
b. I can't believe my return flight leaves at 7:00 am EST.
c. Maybe all the running at practice was a bad idea.
d. I can't believe I have to wake up at 4:30 EST.
e. Maybe my dad should have made them shoot free throws and run more.
f. This sucks.
But then the Cougars made history.
They came back from TWENTY-FIVE points down to win.
Some of the thoughts that went through my mind then were:
a. Now I can sleep in.
b. My dad is a genius.
c. I am sooooo glad that I get to sleep in.
The rest of the night was spent celebrating and cheering.
I heard I was shown on TV "enthusiastically bouncing" my baby.
Kate was sooooo happy to get to do cartwheels on the court.
Baby Eve was so happy to scoot around and not be on my lap or be "enthusiastically bounced" by me.
We even got ride back to the hotel on the TEAM bus which is totally against the rules.
By the time we got back to the hotel it was about 2 am.
We were getting ready to go to sleep when Kate looked at me and asked,
"Did BYU win tonight?"
It was such an AWESOME night.

No comments: