Sunday, October 16, 2011

My Little Brother.

So here is this week's Friday Interview on Sunday. I'm sure this is not the last time you'll see this...
And I'm so excited for this one because G is one of the greatest people on earth. And I had a blast interviewing him even though between his kids and my kids playing on the swing set in their basement (that's right, I said swing set IN their basement- coolest house on the block), I got a massive headache. And then he would make me laugh. And then my head hurt even more. But it still was the best hanging with my little brother again- like the old times!
Me: I hear you are now on Twitter. What is your Twitter name?
G: @garrettdrose
Me: What is your latest Tweet?
G: How do I find that? Just a second...
@taylorannrose wow... How cool is it that your older brother follows you on Twitter. #bestbrother
Me: What was it like being my little brother?
G: Ummm... that's a tough question. Let's just say, growing up it was very hard to do anything I wanted to do. And if I EVER made changes to the game, the game was over.
Me: Wow, your parents must have been so bossy and controlling... Just kidding I know I was super bossy and controlling- good thing I'm not anymore! Looking back, I honestly think you were the greatest little brother ever- How did you put up with me?
G: I had my best friend next door- Berk Frei. And I think I threw a remote control at you once.
Me: Ya, I remember that. That was close... to hitting my face. I remember those St. George days. We did everything together- building forts in the desert, riding bikes- and gymnastics. Remember when you could do the splits?
G: I still can.
Me: Prove it.
G: Sorry, I gotta phone call. Hello! This is Garrett.
(Pause while he takes a phone call- some guy wants to buy my parents furniture he is selling on KSL)
Me: So, back to the gymnastics thing. Some football players do a little ballet on the side- you went the gymnastics route- both teach you to point your toes. Either way, you were amazing at football. What position did you play?
G: I played All-Star... Left Tackle on offense and Left Tackle on defense.
Me: Favorite part about football.
G: Running someone over at full speed.
Me: Not the guys, or working as a team huh?
G: My team sucked. Victories had to come in my personal battles.
Me: Remember your Freshman year when Provo hadn't won a game in like 3 seasons and you guys won and we rushed the field?
G: Ya, that was almost as embarrassing as when BYU fans rushed the field after beating Utah St.
Me: When did you first hurt your shoulder?
G: When I was a kid and the babysitter twirled me around and pulled it out of socket.
Me: So it always bothered you?
G: Ya, even when I started lifting as a freshman, I didn't have the same strength in my upper body as I did in my short, squatty legs. Thanks Mom.
Me: So when did you have your first surgery?
G: The summer after my junior year.
Me: And then what happened?
G: The doctor used a pain pump that gave me a staff infection that destroyed my entire shoulder- cartilage, bone, bone space, joint space.
Me: But you played your entire senior year that way before you found out.
G: I would compensate by hitting people with my head- that caused a few concussions. That could be why I'm 27 and work at the DI.
Me: So you went from being recruited by BYU, Utah, Utah St., Oregon, Washington and thinking you could play in the NFL to getting a shoulder replacement and never being able to play football again. What got you through that?
G: I think family was the main thing and a few really good friends. And ultimately all of this helped me decide to go on a mission.
Me: And you served in...
G: Arkansas, Little Rock Mission.
Me: Will you PLEASE do your impersonation of the preacher?
G: I can't do that one. It will scare the kids. But it sounded a little like Rick Perry's pastor.
Me: How about a movie line... You are the best with those- you and Brad. You guys were hilarious. I would sit and listen to you both and just cry from laughing so hard. You really were brothers from- what did you used to say?
G: Well, mom used to say we were supposed to be brothers, but Heavenly Father knew that one mother couldn't afford the food bill.
Me: It's true, you guys even looked alike- My favorite picture ever is when I'm standing in between you and Brad- I am looking petite.
G: Ya, That's a lot of people's favorite picture.
Me: Brad passed away when you were on your mission. How did you find out?
G: Mom and Dad called and told me.
Me: What was it like losing your best friend like that?
G: The hardest thing I had ever had to deal with. It was even harder when I got home from my mission because we had done everything together. It shook my confidence being on my own like that.
Me: I remember you told me there was a talk or book that helped you. What was it?
G: Spencer W. Kimball's talk "Death: Tragedy or Destiny?" I had read so much and nothing made sense until I read that. It put it all together. Being on my mission helped me so much- if I hadn't been there, I would have really struggled with it.
Me: You still are really close to Brad's family- you and Brooke even lived next door to them for a long time.
G: Thanks to Kevin Markham I know a lot of things about grapes. 
Me: Speaking of Brooke, how did you snatch her?
G: I caught her in a vulnerable time- she had just gone through a broken engagement and I swooped in.
Me: Hey, 95% of love is timing.
G: "96% of the time, it works every time." -Anchorman
Me: And you have two boys: Bradley- named after your best friend and Calvin- named after your favorite comic book.
G: But Calvin has the middle name- Kawika- means David in Hawaiin.
Me: That makes sense because you are Hawaiin. Wait a minute... do you have any Polynesian blood?
G: No, but I'm the size of a Polynesian and I'm very laid back like my Island Brothers and I love me some Kalua Pork.
Me: The one thing I admire the most about you is your compassion and love for people- especially people you don't even know. I think you were just born that way, but how did you become so good at helping others?
G: Once I realized that I could do this as a job, it gave me a passion for helping people. It's what I enjoy doing most.
Me: But even as a kid I remember you befriending EVERYONE in the neighborhood. When we couldn't find you, I had to go to EVERY house because you would hang out with anyone- young or old. I think I admire this quality so much because I am not good at this.
G: That's not true. You are very thoughtful.
Me: That's not true, but thanks for saying it. And just to prove you are the best little brother out there, you made my WEDDING CAKE. Seriously, I loved that cake! Now on to favorites! Food-
G: (long pause) Let's see, it's easier to list the two foods I don't like- dark chocolate and figs.
Me: Does that include Fig Newtons?
G: Yes.
Me: Music
G: Bob Marley- Reggae
Me: Color
G: Green. Go Bulldogs.
Me: Movie
G: Christmas Vacation
Me: Sibling
G: No comment
Me: OK, sister
G: Still no comment
Me: Vacation
G: Lake Powell
Me: So you're not really Hawaiin- you are Navajo! Favorite Temple
G: St. George
Me: Place to Waterballoon
G: Coming down Grandview Hill, but we used mustard bombs, not waterballoons
Me: Tie
G: The blue paisley one I bought from a Russian Lady on the side of the road in Arkansas
Me: DI find
G: A Masonic Bible form the early 1800's valued over $600,000
Me: BYU moment
G: Watching the game with Brad in Chad Bunn's office because the seats were too small for us
Me: Recipe
G: Recently Acquired Caramel Apples
Me: And I can tell you that those apples are GOOD. So is the leftover caramel in a bowl, but if you eat too much of it- you will feel like puking- at least that's what I've heard.
Thanks so much G! I love you, and I'm so lucky to be your big sister. Sorry about when we were in high school and I kept bleaching you hair because I thought that was cool. I hope that's not the reason it's falling out! :) Love you- you are the #bestbrother
If you have any questions for G, post them and I will ask him for you.
Maybe I will Tweet them to him.
Just kidding- don't know how. I'm bad at Twitter.
And- check out my favorite posts about G.
and here.

4 comments:

k8theriver said...

G is fuhunee! Thats cool he likes to help people. My question for him is: are you available to help us move in this week?
My question for you, chanell, is: will you ever call us when you come to town?

Cheryl Ann Rose said...

Great interview on a great person! Love you Garrett.

Chanell said...

Katie- of course G will help you move- he is the master of moving! And yes- I will call you- I wanted to call you and come see your house, but we have a LOT of family to make the rounds to- so I didn't have time to make it to Lehi- but I really want to come by... next time!

Katherine said...

Great interview! I love having a brother! The best! Come to Cedar Hills next time (you know in your spare time :) haha )