Tonight I found this piece of art saved in My Pictures. Annie loves playing on the computer. She has computer class at school and by the end of the year she should know more than I do. The best part about the picture was it's title: "wdqsswqAXXZ." And I have no idea how they figured out how to save this. They must just be geniuses.
I like to give my kids creative freedom (otherwise known as I'm comatose on a couch or a bed and have no idea what they are doing). But only when Tessa is asleep. I promise when she got the black eye I was less than 2 feet from her. She is supervised, but Annie and Kate- well they might be a little unsupervised during the naps. So that's when they save all their good tricks- like art on the computer or cooking shows in the kitchen (with real food and real dishes making a real freakin' mess).
I must say I feel a bit guilty about their lack of supervision- even though they don't seem to mind it too much. It's hard being the most under-performing pregnant person to ever exist. I suck so bad at pregnancy. I try not to let it bring me down, but then I talk to those girls who say, "I love pregnancy. I feel so special and powerful. It is such an amazing thing." And I smile and nod while I think, "Seriously? SERIOUSLY?!?" (No offense intended to those of you who love pregnancy. I'm super happy for you- I promise.)
One time when I was twenty I got bone taken out of my hip and then they cut off the top of my tibia and then they put the bone from my hip in my leg and then they put a bunch of screws and nuts and bolts and 2x4's in my leg (just kidding about the 2x4's). And that was painful and hard, but I'm telling you what pregnancy is so much worse! Do I sound dramatic? Sorry, but the fact is with the bone rebuilding- there was pain- A LOT of pain- and a lot of tears, but there was also improvement. It hurt a little less everyday and then slowly the swelling and bruising went away, then a week later I was doing rehab. Improvement is good for the mind- good for the spirit. During my pregnancy- there is no improvement. There is only longevity of crappiness.
So the point for me is to stop fighting the sickness- stop fighting the crappiness. I have to stop feeling bad that I don't love pregnancy and that it doesn't make me feel special or amazing. I have to accept that for me pregnancy makes me feel inadequate and frustrated. And even if there is no improvement there is an end. And there will come a day when I won't be pregnant, but I will be a mom again. (Just don't tell me how long it is until that day is here. Brock made the mistake of saying you only have this much longer and I burst into tears. I honestly feel bad for Brock. He gets a front row seat to the longevity of crappiness. Poor guy, but I must say the fact that he stays seated through it all makes me love him a thousand times more.) I just have to persevere and then it will end. And then I will have a baby (and I'm pretty sure this will be my very last baby) and I will have done it. And then I will feel empowered and amazing because being a mom is what makes me feel special. That despite my inadequate pregnancies it somehow works out in the end and I have beautiful girls to show for it. Beautiful, unsupervised children that are practically geniuses and that's all that matters.

5 comments:
I'm so sorry that you feel so lousy your whole pregnancy. It's bad enough for the first trimester, because then there is an end in sight. You are a champ for dealing with 4 PREGNANCIES in just a few years. I'm not even pregnany and I'm totally lame and just turn on the TV and ignore Colton sometimes. So, cut yourself some slack bc it seems like your kids are all doing great and probably even enjoying the alone time! haha.
and...I'm way jealous that this is your last pregnancy, I am just at the beginning. yuck.
PS I felt this way about the newborn stage. Everyone was telling me how I should "treasure "all the moments...and I was crying and depressed everyday. haha. Treasure? riiiiight.
i hate pregnancy and i don't even get very sick. i'm a wimp. a lazy, tired wimp.
what about the "beauty of childbirth"? ha, that always makes me laugh.
I hate the beginning and end of pregnancy. The middle is pretty cool. However, not a fan of the newborn stage at all. I like sleeping. And that makes me feel like a crappy mom. :)
Thanks for turning your feelings of inadequacy and "crapiness" into words that stirred so many emotions in me. I know I have asked a lot of you in your life but I am asking one more thing now. Please write a book! Maybe not now or next year but sometime soon. You are amazing. Don't forget it.
I've never felt "magical' being pregnant either. Thank you for putting this so perfectly and honestly.
I once heard someone say that she always heard that pregnancy and babies and childbirth are gone in the blink of an eye, so cherish this time. So she said she kept trying to blink hoping it would fly by a little faster! I feel like that a lot!
Hope the yucky part flies by and you get another beautiful baby! And that you keep writing along the way...
Post a Comment