Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Allergic.

I make good Taco Soup.
Really good Taco Soup.
Annie hates it.
She has informed me many times in many ways:
"I HATE soup."
"This soup is YUCK."
"You know I don't like that soup."
And on and on.
But it's my favorite and it's easy and she's crazy.
So I've used this soup to illustrate a life lesson:
"Sometimes you have to do/eat things you don't want to do/eat."
So we sit through painful meal times with tears shed about this soup.
I refuse to make her anything else because I'm not making two dinners,
and Annie refuses to eat the soup.
Until last night.
I put a tiny bit of soup in the bottom and then I piled on the tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream.
She loved it- well she said, "This soup isn't gross- it's a little bit good."
I was so happy.
Until 5:00 am...
Annie comes into my room and says her stomach hurts.
I tell her to come lay down by me.
She tosses and turns and says she's thirsty.
She says she want orange juice.
I tell her to drink some water.
She drinks the water and then says,
"I think I'm going to throw up."
And .5 seconds later is throwing up all over me,
my bed,
my carpet,
my bathroom floor,
my bathroom rug
and then eventually the toilet.
Once she got over the disturbing fact that she threw up out of her nose,
she looked at me and said,
"Mom, I think I'm allergic to that soup."
I said, "I promise I won't make you eat that soup again."
And as I cleaned up the throw up off of everything,
I learned that life lessons are overrated.
p.s.
Just in defense of my taco soup,
I discovered later that morning that Annie had also eaten an entire loaf of white bread.
I never buy white bread, but was going to make french toast with it.
She said it was so good, she just kept eating it.
That and Kate made her eat it.
p.p.s.
Was that story too graphic for you?
Sorry if it was- we do throw up about three times a week around here-
so it doesn't really phase me.
But I still remember the time I babysat Drake and he threw up pepperoni pizza and fruit punch.
OHHH it was so disgusting! I vowed that day to never have children.
But I still had kids, and pepperoni pizza throw up is the least of my worries.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

I thought this was a great post. I mean really really great. But Greg accuses me of having boy humor, so that may explain it. I love that Annie ate a whole loaf of white bread, totally something my kids would do-they have no self imposed limits when it comes to food.

In fact last week Jackson snuck down from his nap and poured himself half a cup of nesquick and started eating straight powder with a spoon. Like I said no limits.

I almost wish he had thrown up so that he would think he was allergic.

Cheryl Ann Rose said...

Bummer. Was this before or after you had your carpets cleaned?

Baxter's said...

When I saw the title of this post I thought you were going to say that you thought maybe you were allergic to life right now. I'm glad it's just the taco soup.

Crystal said...

Oh you make me laugh!