Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Spoiled? No.


(picture of my children getting whatever they want.)
Do you spoil your kids?
I don't.
At least I don't give them anything I don't want them to have.
So maybe I'm the spoiled one...
But this post is not about me, so let's not even worry ourselves about that.
***
Annie is having a hard day.
The living room is full of her old clothes and shoes.
Her little eyes are full of tears. 
She can't bear to part with her stuff.
Never mind that her closet is full to the BRIM with clothes.
She just can't handle it.
I see this as a learning experience.
"We can share."
"Because I have been given much, I too must give."
That didn't work.
Then I started threatening her.
"Seriously if I hear you crying again, I'm gonna throw ALL of your stuff in the pile."
That didn't work either.
But then there was a knock on the door.
It was her friend, Emma, and her mom with a big bag of clothes.
Inside the bag was a pink Barbie nightgown.
Uh. That worked.
The next thing I know, Annie is bringing me her necklace.
"I want to share this."
I knew she had it in her!
She really is a sweet girl.
Just a little too sentimental...
maybe a little like her mother.
After all it is bittersweet parting with one's stuff.
***
(Oh ya! And three cheers for Emma! You saved the day.)
***
And if you are a Locust Grover, get on over here at 6:00.
The swap is going to be sweet.

1 comment:

Cheryl Ann Rose said...

I guess I haven't given her my "Want less, Give more" speech that came after our Nicaragua trip, but that probably wouldn't have worked either. Tell her if she gives up her old stuff, Bampa will buy her new stuff and see if that helps. And my grandchildren are NOT spoiled!