A little background on me,I'm not a good cook.
My brother is a good cook, much to the delight of Provo High's Mrs. Cluff, as well as the pride and joy of my parents.
I am a lover of good food and like to eat yummy food, but I am not the one who usually cooks good food.
When my family gets together to prepare a meal, my mom usually says things like, "Chanell, do you think you could cut the stems off of these strawberries?"-with a look on her face the means- are you capable? You're not going to screw this one up are you? Which at times I find a little insulting, but then part of me is hoping I don't screw it up too.
Since I married Brock I have put a lot of time and effort into becoming a better cook.
I knew that until I learned how to make yummy food, there would always be a little part of him that would love his mother more than me. I'm serious.
So in the last six years I have learned how to make yummy food- the easiest way possible- so that I would't screw it up.
***
Fast forward to January 2010:
One of my new year's resolutions was to eat "REAL" food.
I have always felt the need to learn more about food and nutrition, but I guess I got kicked into high gear when I watched the documentary, Food Inc. (and p.s. I have not eaten at McDonald's since.)
I guess what bothers me the most is that by feeding my family certain things, I could be hurting them. I felt like I needed to have more of an awareness as to what I was feeding my family. I wanted to be a deliberate cook- to make choices that would benefit their health and well being. I wanted to stop choosing what was easiest or convenient. This has given me a purpose- I don't need to learn how to cook everything. I only need to learn how to cook the BEST things.
***
So now what?
I need to learn what "the BEST" actually means. ..and how I actually cook those things...so that my kids will actually eat those things... so that I have time to do this... and so that it doesn't push me over the edge of the cliff called "crazy, young mother of three."
My plan is to read good books, read good blogs, but the biggest thing is I'm takin' it to the streets of my homies. Those who already do things I want to do. I want to learn from them. I will do whatever it takes. They are my "Mr. Miagi" and I am their "Karate Kid."
I will record the things I learn here- for your enjoyment of course- and also to help me measure my progress.
So wish me luck... I am REALLY gonna need it.
9 comments:
so, where does little ceasars stand? i really don't want to give that up. in fact, i wish there was one closer so we could eat it weekly.
good luck and don't forget to invite us over to sample your skills. my kids like tofu.
Have you heard of Bountiful Baskets? It's a food coop and they have some in Idaho. It's really affordable and it is as local as they can get it. We have it here and I love it! Good luck on the cooking!!
Wax on...wax off...good luck!
i've been trying to do the same. try this blog. http://fortheloveofcooking-recipes.blogspot.com/ this lady is great. she uses lots of fresh ingredients and tries to be really healthy. but she also has young kids so she gets that you have to make it yummy. her recipes are pretty simple and easy too. good luck!
I am working on it too! Food inc was an eye opener for me as well. I feel like I'm having to relearn how to eat because I never knew this stuff as a kid. I can't wait to hear your progress. I have stumbled across a few winner recipes that are easy, cheap and my kids (and I) love them. When I think of it I'll send a few on to you.
My favorite food blog:
www.ourbestbites.com
Everything is so yummy. And a good way to start nice and easy is to make your own maple syrup. The store bought stuff always has High Fructose corn syrup unless it's Organic and then it cost $5 for a tiny bottle! I made this syrup recently and it is SO easy and SO yummy, my kids love it.
1 Cup Water
1 Cup Sugar
1 tsp. Maple Extract or Mapleine Imitation Flavoring
*Bring water and sugar to slow boil over low heat, stirring continually.
*Remove from heat before it comes to a rolling boil.
*Stir in maple extract as it is cooling.
*Serve warm.
So easy right?
I love your newfound passion Chanell!
WOW! Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look into all of this and track you down for more information. And Caroline I really want to bring my girls to your farm- it would be like disneyland!
GoOd LuCk!
Thanks for the inspiration Chanell! I will use all of the suggestions you are getting to use also! I did make homemade rolls for the first time ever about a month ago and they were pretty good - room for improvement but pretty good. I didn't learn it either as a kid - my mom is a great cook and we NEVER went out to eat!I just didn't want to learn and she didn't really make me ...I was good at sports though! (lot of good that's doing me now) :) haha
Post a Comment