So this weekend Brock and I watched two movies
this one in 3D on the Imax screen
I could not stop thinking/talking about one of them-
guess which one...
In college I had to read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair-
and I found it well... disturbing.
I did not like reading it- which was Mr. Sinclair's intent-
but I still to this day remember hating that book.
I found this movie well... disturbing.
The fat chickens that can't walk...
the cows standing all day in manure...
the government cover-up and the subsidies, oh the subsidies.
the government cover-up and the subsidies, oh the subsidies.
I somehow convinced Brock to watch this movie with me
(probably because it's the first time I've talked about something other than babies, sleep or sleep in the last few weeks.)
I know he found it disturbing because he discussed purchasing a FARM of our own- "might as well- we live in Idaho." I think those were his exact words. :) He did mention that we would have to find somebody to milk the cows 'cause we were not going to wake up that early.
Why does he want a farm? So we can have chickens, cows, and pigs that eat what nature intended them to eat- did you know we feed cows corn because we can buy it cheaper than it costs to grow it? Did you know that corn makes them sick and then they shoot them up with antibiotics that they are becoming immune too? Did you know that they wash ground beef in ammonia to kill the bacteria before they ship it to McDonald's and friends?
(I realize I sound like I've lost my mind, but like I said it was disturbing).
So now what... I need to find a cow- one that is eating grass and then find somebody to butcher it and stick it in my freezer.
I told my mom I wanted her to split it with me.
She thinks I'm L-O-C-O.
Plus she said she buys her meat from the creamery- and she sees BYU's cows eating grass and they look perfectly healthy and happy she might add.

(All of us at the farm)
My sophomore year I played with a girl from IDAHO. Her name is Caroline and she grew up on a dairy farm in Melba. She was the toughest, hardest-working girl ever... p.s plus the nicest. Anyway the summer of 2001 she was leaving on a mission so a bunch of us drove up for her farewell. I felt like I was at Disneyland- her family showed us all around and it was amazing what goes into a real-live farm. I met the pregnant cows- saw one deliver her baby-CRAZY. Met the calf's- they have their own houses- like dog houses but for the babies. They even showed us how they lead them all in and then hook them up to the milkers and how all of that worked. Anyway at breakfast they brought in some fresh milk straight from the cow and I FREAKED out. I wouldn't taste it... isn't that crazy? I eat hamburgers that have bathed in ammonia but when it comes to natural fresh, warm (still think that's yuck) milk- I wouldn't come near it. So 9 years later I would like to apologize for being a loser... Sorry.
So anyways for now I bought free-range, organic chicken broth at costco.
My soup was yummy and I thought about all those happy chickens roaming free and thanked them for their contribution to my soup.
Have you seen the movie?
Do you think I'm crazy?
12 comments:
I haven't seen the movie, but YES! I think you are crazy! :)
luv ya anyway! :)
You sound like me talking about the birthing industry!! I have lots of issues with food as well though and vaccine's... and the list could go on. I actually would prefer to buy meat locally and I have heard it's much cheaper to buy a whole cow than to buy ground beef at the store. The Amador's did it last year. We would be willing to split one with you if you looked into it. We had cousins who had a farm when I was little so we always raised a baby cow on it and then butchered it when it got old enough. I don't think my mom ever bought beef at the grocery store. Much healthier. As far as chickens go though... not sure how to do that one although I know there are places locally that do sell it.
I've always thought you were crazy, and that is exactly why I love you. I needed a post like this today. I needed to laugh out loud. :-) Thanks. And to defend the milk at the Beus' farm....it was NOT warm. They refridgerated it and it was very yummy. And yes, it is like Disneyland on the farm. Remember when the little baby cows sucked on our hands like a bottle? After nursing, it makes me really glad our babies don't have the suction strength of a cow. Phew.
not crazy. i go back and forth. i buy organic then i run out of money and have to buy processed. there are places you can buy all the hormone-free, non-pastuerized, free-range stuff. you just have to be willing to pay the price.
We'd split a cow with you!! Alisha Hollis has done it a few times and knows how to go about it. If you are serious I would call and get things set up! I'm not kidding.
dear chanell, i guess i can forgive you. but if you really really want to make restitution, you'll drive out to Melba and tip your bottoms up with my family. a big, tall, and BUTT COLD (as we like to call it) glass of fresh, natural, whole MILK.
ahhh, doesn't that sound good? refreshing. :)
p.s. Next time I'm in Idaho for a visit, I'm coming to your house. okay?!
I so don't think you are crazy! I swear when it comes to food I almost like to think ignorance is bliss. The more you find out, the more disgusted you are, and the more insane people think you have become!
With that being said..I'm not ready to raise my own cow, chickens, or any animal for that fact. But Lee did grow up doing all of that (and he doesn't live on a farm, just put a few chickens, a cow, all in the backyard!)..maybe its the secret to being so skinny after all!
Okay, my whole family has read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" which is TOTALLY about that! It makes me nervous to eat food too, especially because there is no solution living in vegas. There are no local farms or anything. Until I have a solution, I think I will plead innocence and just not read the book or see the movie...
Hi chanell...I am so excited that you LIVE in idaho now! please do come and visit us again. We would love to see you and your girls. I am a confirmed "blog-stalker" and i read your blog regularly! (and those of all of Caroline's other friends, too) your family is beautiful!
I think you would love home grown beef.....and i wouldn't believe the ammonia thing, either. dairy, poultry and cattle industries make their money from HEALTHY animals. we would be foolish to abuse them in any way. chickens, cows and all other animals benefit from close care...it keeps them healthier and safe. imagine turning your girls out to pasture so they could roam? they might 1. stray into a road and get run over, 2. eat something not good for them 3. be cold or wander off and not be around when supper is served.
so....don't beleive everything you read!
this sounded like a lecture :) but it wasn't, just an explanation.
anyway, come see us any time...maybe when it is warmer and we will take the girls for a spin on a tractor and let the little calves slobber all over them!...plus now we have grandkids to play with!
love,
Liz Beus (caroline's mom)
call for directions...922 5968
ps. so glad your dad is doing better!
You are not crazy you are smart! I have not seen the flick but I've been on the band wagon for years! Yeah! Welcome! And I'm going to rent it pronto!
I'm right there with you! I grew up on a farm, but in Mexico, where government is not at all involved in how you raise your cows. Our cows ate grass out in the pasture. I wish my kids could grow up the way I did. We grew our own stuff and it was organic. DON'T get me started on the food industry in the US, it's a freaking joke. There is so much crap in almost every single thing we eat. My dream is to move out to the middle of nowhere and grow my own food, and live off the land. It will never happen of course, because everyone thinks I'm crazy too. Oh, and Austin decided to be a coach, do we'll never live in the same place for more than about two days.
Oh, and you should read The China Study. It's another eye-opening book.
Post a Comment