Monday, March 31, 2008

When Lightening Strikes Twice!

So for those of you who know me well know that I am terrified of thunder and lightening. I know thunder is harmless, but when there is thunder there is lightening. When I was a kid in St. George, my parents would go on the porch in our backyard and watch the crazy lightening storms. I would go in my room and put on my tennis shoes (rubber soles) and watch out the window (I didn't want to miss anything even though I was freaked out.) I believe I have passed this phobia on to my sister.
So of course I would marry Brock, the man of my dreams, who in one of his many near death experiences was struck by lightening. He was trying to fix a window screen at his sister's house when lightening struck. I doubt it struck him as the story goes, but it did strike close enough to knock him out cold. Anyway I know the statistics, once someone is struck by lightening the chances of being struck again is like a zillion.
So we had a big lightening storm a couple days ago after the girls were in bed. The thunder shook the house once. So of course I turn off all electrical items- assuming lightening is drawn to electricity. But of course Brock is on the computer. Then a huge bolt of lightening followed by a huge crack of thunder. Brock jumps up and said, "Whoa I just got shocked through the mouse." So the charger on our computer somehow is fried and the only way I can charge the computer is to stick it in the car and charge it through the cigarette lighter. Poor Computer!
Well off to put on my tennis shoes!

9 comments:

Dinger said...

That is freaky!! I am like you, I am fascinated by lightening, but I also get a bit nervous, and like to stick in doors. I'm glad Brock was okay, it could have been a lot worse!

Annaca said...

I have always hated thunder. I remember laying in me bed during a thunderstorm and praying it would stop. I'm glad Brock is ok, and good luck with the computer.

Michelle said...

That's crazy!! We were leaving Mutual during that storm, it was a doozy! I have to tell you though, my mom was struck by lightning inside our house when I was a baby. She was cleaning the bathroom and it came through the open window, hit the shower door and then hit her. Knocked her out cold but she came too and crawled to the neighbors. She was on the news in Utah that night. She never let us play outside or have any windows open when there was a storm!

Katherine said...

SO, I think I already told you part of this story, but my sister, Tracy's house was struck by lightning in NC last year and it fried her AC, her router, and a few other electronic devices, but the funny part of the story that I didn't tell you was that when she was a teenager, she was living with my grandparents for the summer and lightning struck their house right outside her window and a tree fell on the house. No damage , but it freaked her out! Anyway, so she, like Brock has been struck by lightning twice! Maybe they have electrical waves in them or something. Glad Brock is ok and i am glad you are back to the world of blogging. Have a great day.

Angela and Mike said...

haha, that was an intense story. I was reading in anticipation of Brock totally getting knocked out again. I'm glad that wasn't the case though. That boy must jsut be electric! keep wearing those rubber shoes!

Dana said...

My goodness. I have never heard of such a thing! Glad all is okay...except the poor computer.
:)

The Roberts Family said...

We should give him a superhero name like but I don't know a good enough one yet...hmmmm

Cheryl Ann Rose said...

I don't think you're memory is very good because I was not out there on the porch with dad. I hate lightening and would watch from inside the house while yelling at dad to come in. I think I passed on my phobia to my daughters. The lightening thing with Brock explains alot. (ha ha)

Taylor Rose said...

Hey now i was like 6 when my phobia was extreme. Lightning is cool now. ok well maybe i didnt face my fear until like last year at girls camp but you know my stage of phobia is gone. ANYWAY!Thats so wierd about brock but come on you cant be on the computer with a lightning storm. DUH! well cant wait to see you.. BYE!