Friday, October 7, 2011

Meet My Mother.

It's Friday!
So get ready for another fascinating interview with one of my favorite people...
This week I'm interviewing my mother.
And before we start, I want to tell my mom and my dad how much I admire their courage and their strength. Especially today. I love you guys and I'm praying for you both. Here's to everything being all clear.
So here's our interview:
Me: Hi Mom. Thanks for letting me interview you. You are a celebrity and live a super exciting life- I don't really know where to start... How about the time you were a beauty queen and rode on a float that spun you around while you waved to everyone in your swimsuit. I have seen the footage- you were smokin'. How did you keep from getting dizzy?
Mom: Oh, you are hilarious. If you post a picture of that I will kill you.
Me: I don't know if too many people know this, but you used to model- how did you like that?
Mom: It was great- except when I wore really high heels and they were new. But we would put tape on the bottom so we wouldn't slip.
Mom: We would also do table modeling, but that was a little uncomfortable because I was REALLY close to people.
Me: Just to clarify for the readers, that was table MODELING and not table dancing- Did you work for any famous clients?
Mom: I once did a shoot for Chums- you might have heard of them.
Me: Wow. I remember going with you to a shoot in Zion's National Park. There was a lot of scarf action going on. I was in awe of you because you were so beautiful. You still are- like today when someone asked me if you were my sister, and I said, "I get that ALL THE TIME."
Mom: I have always thought of my daughters as my sisters. We are all daughters of God. Throughout my life when I would get frustrated or irritated I tried to remember that. So I take that compliment to heart.
Me: That is something I need to remember with my girls... Any other advice for me as a mother?
Mom: I think you're amazing. I told your daughter when I put her to bed what a great mother you are. (this same daughter, by the way, told me the next day, "You used to be a nice mom. Now you're a MEAN mom!) I'm sincere when I say that. My advice for you is don't be so hard on yourself. You don't give yourself enough credit.
Me: What's it like being married to someone who is famous?
Mom: I always think it's funny when people call him famous or a celebrity. He's just Dave- a great husband and father.
Me: Remember the time he fought the guy who robbed his house and stole the keys to your car and then stole your car too. Dad knew he was the robber when he saw him wearing his clothes. He was wearing Dad's corduroy bell bottoms that he had to cut off because they were too long.
Mom: And the guy was wearing the leather jacket I had given to your dad for his birthday. But when the guy pulled a knife, Dad told him to keep the clothes, but to give him the jacket.
Me: That is so romantic and dramatic.
Mom: We had the entire Rebelette drill team watching outside the Gym- some guy came running into practice yelling, "Dave's in a fight!" and we all ran out.
Me: Did dad get his jacket back?
Mom: Yes, but the guy had smoked so it smelled and there were crushed cigarettes in the pocket. We still have that jacket.
Me: So you have a lot of responsibilities that come along with dad's job. What do you enjoy the most about that?
Mom: Working with the Children with Cancer and the different things we do to help with the fight against cancer. Lobbying in Washington DC was amazing. I don't love speaking, but these events are very rewarding.
Me: Have you made peace with Referees?
Mom: There are a few things I will not miss in the Mt. West. I'm looking forward to meeting the referees of the WCC.
Me: And I'm sure the look forward to meeting you. Seriously though those games are so stressful. I don't think people understand until they are in your situation. There is a lot of pressure to win games. How do you handle the pressure?
Mom: The last two years have been a lot easier. Perspective is a great thing. What I've come to realized is that basketball does not define our lives.
Me: Perspective is helpful, and so is Jimmer. Dad said that you make cookies for the guys when they win. How did that start?
Mom: Dad's first year, they had lost a few road games. Bribery has always worked with my children, so I told the guys if they won I would make them chocolate chip cookies. And then when we played UNLV at home when they were ranked, I bribed them with snicker doodles. Now it's tradition- Chocolate Chip for home wins and Snicker doodles for away wins.
Me: You have had a tough year, losing your mom and your sister. What has helped you get through the rough times?
Mom: My family and friends and the knowledge that my mom and sister are happy and that I'll get to see them again.
Me: What is your favorite memory of your mother?
Mom: When I was six, it was just the two of us after my dad died. We used to go and visit my sister who lived on the other side of Vegas. When we drove home late at night, I would lay my head on her lap and that was the safest I ever felt. I also remember all the things she did for me that I never appreciated at the time. She hand quilted a king size quilt for my wedding gift. And once she baked hundreds of cookies for something I had going on at the college. I just think of all the things she did for us and the sacrifices she made. I don't know if I truly appreciated this until she was gone.
Me: What's it like raising a sixteen year old girl now as opposed to 13 years ago when I was sixteen?
Mom: Nothing- it's all the same. There's drama and hormones and eye rolling. But it's the best thing ever. And I've seen that sixteen year olds can turn into great moms if you hang in there long enough.
Me: You are a great party thrower- Hostess with the Most-ess if you know what I'm sayin'. What are a few of your best party tips?
Mom: Start with a clean house- especially bathrooms. Know the phone number of a good caterer. Buy some flowers from Costco and put on some music. You've got yourself a party. And if you really want to go crazy, throw in some kareoke. And have fun! Any party can be fun if you don't stress out. A stressed out hostess is a party pooper.
Me: Now on to the favorites:
Favorite Food: Outback, Victoria's Filet, 6 oz, medium rare
Favorite Song/Artist: Sting "When We Dance"
Favorite City: New York
Favorite Dessert: Creme Brulee
Favorite Perfume: Angel
Favoriet Season: Fall, I love the colors and fashion- I have good childhood memories of deer hunting
Favorite Designer: Candace Olsen
Favoriet Movie: Out of Africa
Favorite Vacation: Rome
Favorite Shoes: My black patent leather, pointy toe, half boots from Cole Haan. If anyone from Cole Haan reads this blog, please bring back this shoe. Mine are wearing out. Thanks.
Favorite Guy: Dave
Me: Thank you so much for answering all my questions. I think you are amazing and so cool.
Mom: You are welcome. I think you are the best blogger ever.
***
And don't forget to wish my Mom a Happy Birthday on the 10th. Good luck trying to get her a present, she has it all- except those Cole Haan half boots that our out of production...
Happy Birthday Mom!
I love you!

8 comments:

Cheryl Ann Rose said...

I love you too!

JaVan_Sims said...

I love reading your blog. You are such a good writer. I especially have liked the interviews. While it doesn't surprise me your mom was a model, it's something new I learned today about her (among other things, including the robbery that had me laughing). Thanks for being so good at keeping up on your blog when I know you have your hands full with your 4 cute girls.

Lee Anne Pope said...

Loved reading all about Cheryl. The stories were great! Beauty, grace, kindness and fun.... That's Cheryl. Can't wait to hear the robbery story in person!

Rachel LaComb said...

I don't know who I love most, Cheryl or Chanell! You both make me wish I was better, but that's what friends are for, to inspire us. Here's to amazing blogging, cut off stolen pants, big model bangs, a great mom of 4 girls, mommish, and next week's interview. Can't wait!

A Note from Mrs. Hall: said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara Hall said...

Deer hunting, table modeling, and loving 16 year old teenagers...sounds like Cheryl for sure! (haha) It was so fun to hear stories and facts about your mama that I never would have guessed! Must be so fun to have a celebrity mother, and one that's so posh and up with the times!! LOVE love love your blog, but not as much as I love you beautiful Rose ladies! Happy early birthday, Cheryl, and happy mean mothering to you, Chanell! ("Mean" moms are usually some of the best moms, at least I'd like to think so :P) xoxo

Michelle said...

OK...so clearly I know who I need to get in touch with for some coaching on blogging, so cute Chanell. Right...so how do you find the time???? Wow ~ impressive! On to your mom...where to start! Since the day you all moved in, I have looked at her like the big sister I never had. I have a ways to go to learn the style and fashion she exudes - that woman knows her stuff - so I can always hope that I will glean some of her fashion sense by just living across the street!! Secretly I do aspire to be a "fashionista" so she's the perfect friend! I am not a Grandma yet (Britni say's she'll work on that next year for me) but when I do get to have that privilege, I hope to be as cute a Grandma as she is to all her grandkids...such a doll! Cheryl also loves the Lord and strives to live her life as a true example of that ~ a lovely daughter of our Heavenly Father. One of my fondest memories I share with her was being worthy to go to the Temple here in Provo and being able to serve by cleaning near the celestial room rather than the normal session - it was two of her favorite things, cleaning and serving :) It was a wonderful experience! Love you like crazy Cheryl!! Hugs, hugs and more hugs!!

Stasie said...

I have always known that Cheryl was an amazing person. One of the things that I love about her is the way she treats my kids. Whether she knows it or not, she creates good memories for them. This morning, Trey and I were at the Homecoming parade, because it is tradition! He was bringing up the differences about todays parade . . . no doughnuts or orange juice or Aunt Cheryl. She always planned the parade gathering. Today, we were sitting with Ashleigh Chamberlain Burgess and Trey remembered the parade that she was in with Chanell. He might have been about 4 years old. He remembers Chanell having him and his brothers and Taylor get in the truck/float and being in the parade. Then they ate pancakes at the end. See, another good memory that was created by Cheryl. I love you tons, Cheryl. Thanks for being amazing.

Stasie