Wednesday, September 14, 2011

One last day...

Today is the last day of my twenties.
Tomorrow the sun rises on my thirties.
I am glad.
My twenties were fantastic.
My twenties were amazing.
But my twenties were kind of hard.
I was pregnant for 30% of my twenties.
I had a baby for 40% of my twenties.
That means I didn't sleep for 7 years.
I look forward to a new decade in my life.
I hope for less monumental life changes, and for more meaningful experiences.
I hope for less forging and breaking new trails, and for more staying the course.
I think that in my twenties, I set the foundation for my life.
I married Brock, I graduated from BYU, I taught high school, I coached, I had a baby, I moved to Idaho, I had another baby, and another, and one more, I taught myself how to cook, I re-taught myself how to cook healthy food, I watched helplessly as Brock lost his mother, I watched helplessly as I almost lost my father, I taught myself how to be a mother, I loved my girls, and I loved Brock.
And now I need to build upon that foundation.
I am not sad to turn thirty.
I am so blessed.
I love my life. I love my life. I love my life.
Even when it is hard, and I look around at the chaos- the messes- the utter destruction,
and think "I can't believe this is my life."
That's when I remember...
These are the years that will not last forever.
I will think back to my twenties and remember the joy of each baby.
I will laugh at the tiny apartment in West Valley,
and try to remember what it was ever like just the two of us.
I will miss the laughter and the stories, but probably not the messes.
As I look back, I see how amazing each year has been.
And here's to celebrating thirty of them!!!

4 comments:

Cheryl Ann Rose said...

That was so beautiful. Thanks for reminding me to enjoy life at every stage and thanks for reminding me that it all goes by so fast. As I read this, I thought of how fast the first 20 years of your life went, but i feel so glad I got to spend them with you. Brock is a lucky man and Annie, Kate, Tessa and Eve are lucky girls to have such an amazing woman in their life. I hope you have the best birthday ever! Love, Mom

Kim said...

Welcome to the 30's club. I was sad to see my 20's go, but there is something that is so empowering about being past that and really looking at myself as a women and not a girl and like you said being proud of what has brought you to this point. Happy Early Birthday. Glad you had a great last day !!

Ryan and Angela said...

Oh man, I didn't even know it was your birthday. Some friend. Happy birthday. Oh, and I should really stop reading your blog because it usually ends up making me cry. But you are a great writer. So I just can't help myself.

Casey said...

Happy Birthday!! You inspire me!