This is a story about delivering my fourth baby girl.
Although my baby is so beautiful, my story is not.
In fact, I don't really want to even tell it.
I don't even like thinking about it much.
Brock says I have post traumatic stress about the whole thing.
He might have a point because one way to describe the experience would be tramautic.
Don't worry- everything worked out beautifully.
She was never in any danger- neither was I.
But delivering her was the worst thing I have ever done.
It completely altered my spectrum in life of what is hard and what is painful.
Eve's birth will always be what I compare every hard thing to and say,
"Well at least this isn't as bad as when I had Eve."
You ready for this?
So in hindsight there were a few problems heading up to this delivery...
like when I was 9 weeks along and they did an ultrasound and said my due date was wrong and bounced it back a week.
My date was right.
Or when I went to an appt. and the doctor went on and on about how big the baby was.
She was right.
Or when I had to go to labor and delivery because my vision was doing crazy things and they said I had an atypical migraine and was dehydrated, but they would not induce me because my blood pressure was fine and the baby was not in danger and I cried and begged them to induce me anyway and they have no compassion for crying pregnant women and sent me home.
Or on my actual induction date, when they bumped me to two days later, and then on that day they bumped me again.
So the problem was by the time I went to deliver I was not only carrying a big baby girl,
I was an emotional wreck.
But then the biggest problem of them all...
When the nurse asked me how I wanted the day to go, I said,
"Well, I think I want to try to go natural.
"Well, I think I want to try to go natural.
I have nothing against epidurals, but I would rather not have one if it goes fast enough."
And guess what she did...
She wrote "natural labor" on the goal board.
ON THE GOAL BOARD.
Natural Labor staring at me all day.
There was no turning back now... it was on the board.
So things started off smooth.
I was handling things like a champ.
And then the contractions started to pick up-
and when I say pick up- I mean they were coming every minute.
And they continued coming a minute apart the entire labor.
So then a few hours later, it was starting to be really crappy.
And I kept telling myself you're almost there.
And then she checked and I was an eight.
An eight?! No, I needed to be a ten.
Then I started freaking out- just a little.
And THEN it started hurting SO FREAKING BAD!
And then I started freaking out a lot.
I started saying ridiculous things.
I would tell Brock to tickle my hair
and then smack his hand when he touched my head.
(Luckily he is a good natured guy and thought I was funny-
a more sensitive husband might have had his feelings hurt.)
One contraction I swore twice,
and then the next came and I spent is shouting, "Owie, Owie..." the whole time.
I was losing it.
Then the nurse checked me again.
A TEN! HALLELUJAH!!!
But, BUT, my cervix had a lip.
My CERVIX had a LIP?
What does that even mean?
So here I am in AGONY- my body telling me to push my baby out-
and I am waiting for the lip on my cervix to go away.
Then I started crying.
Then I started breathing crazy- 'cause I was crying.
Then I grabbed Brock by the shirt and pulled his face in front of mine and said,
"BROCK REICHNER (so he knew I was serious) I CANNOT DO THIS ANYMORE!"
"BROCK REICHNER (so he knew I was serious) I CANNOT DO THIS ANYMORE!"
And of course everyone in the room said,
"You can do it!"
I wanted to punch them all.
And underneath all the pain and freaking out, I was so upset.
I was so frustrated that I couldn't handle this right.
I pride myself in being tough and being able to handle hard things like pain.
I was acting like such a wimpy, crazy chick and that bugged me so bad.
But then the nurse asked me if I wanted to try and push anyway.
AND I SAID, "YES!"
So they got me all set up.
And I pushed three or four times-
without breathing-
because I was afraid if I stopped pushing she would stay in there forever.
Plus passing out at that point didn't seem all bad.
And then she was born.
And I was in awe of how beautiful she was.
And I just cried.
And then they took her to check here.
And I sat there thinking how insane the entire experience was.
How do our bodies do that?
And then they told me she was 9 lbs 10 oz.
And this was supposedly four days before my due date.
And so I blamed the doctors.
And then they brought her to me again.
I looked at her and could not believe she was finally here.
I did it.
Not very gracefully or graciously- I did not win any style points.
But in spite of it all, she was in my arms and she was mine.
My fourth daughter- I am so lucky.
But I am not superwoman.
A special thanks to my mom for taking the pictures
and sticking with me when I was freaking out.
You are such a good mom.
Another special thanks to Brock.
I could not have done this without you.
And please don't tease me about all the crazy.
I'm still a little sensitive about it. :)
And especially thank you baby Eve
for being the most beautiful baby and making me this happy.

9 comments:
Chanell, don't even think for one minute that you aren't superwoman or that you were acting like a wimpy crazy chick! My mother-in-law and sister-in-law both had the lip. My sister-in-law calls it the "damn lip" From what they tell me it sounds pretty painful especially when you are practically there, but the baby is stuck. My sister-in-laws midwife had to reach in and lift the lip over baby's head for it to come out (mind you she didn't have drugs.) At that point I would be kicking the midwife. I consider myself very lucky to have a quick labor. There is no way I could wait out those contractions for hours! And then push out an almost 10 lb. baby. You are superwoman to me! I thought I was pretty close to superwoman just having a baby. Then, I thought again after I had to ice my foot the other night because I sprained it. Ask Marc, he will tell you I was acting like a wimpy crazy chick! I think you are amazing and I am so glad she is finally here. No more waiting :) I loved reading your story! We love and miss you guys and wish you the best!
oh, i need to call you.
i still think you are superwoman. because i had a lip and i couldn't push out the baby--had to get a stupid c-section. and i was a crazy woman. just like on the soap operas. the nurses had to make sure my door was shut so i wouldn't freak out the other patients.
then with stella i wanted to try natural again and couldn't make it past a 7. i started crying and hyperventilating and then got the epidural. she was the quickest and i pushed for an hour.
i had a gas pain the other night and thought, there's no way i can go natural.
you are tough.
I still totally think you ARE superwoman. Way to go! She IS so beautiful and I'm so proud of you...and hey, you accomplished your goal board. I will make sure to be careful what I have them put up there on the goal board next time I have a baby! haha. Congratulations, we are so happy for you guys. And happy you don't have to go through that again. Not fair. Pregnancy and the whole labor thing REALLY could have been designed to be a little easier.
You are definitely a Super-woman! And, to top it off-- you look fabulous right after giving birth! Yay to you! And, yay to your beautiful baby! I'm sure she sleeps wonderfully.
This story is amazing, and you are amazing. So you must be superwoman. Way to go Chanell! Congrats to you all on your 4th. Eve is beautiful.
You are superwoman. I hated Oliver's birth as well, but 6 months later I can think about just maybe doing it again. And I was the "Sam's birth was amazing, I love natural" girl. Yea, I got humbled. Oliver's birth was horrible. Quick contractions but 3 1/2 hours of PUSHING! Stinking 100th percentile head! So yea, I pretty much think you are amazing!! Can't wait to see the little one again.
I love your dialogue in the story and could see it all going down. More than that WAY TO GO! You are better than superwoman because to the best of my knowledge she never gave birth!
I'm just laughing and crying all at the same time. I am so happy for you. Baby Eve will hear this story every time she gives you some of that attitude that she inherits from her dad. :-)
YOU ARE SUPERWOMAN!!!!!!!!! She is beautiful and you are amazing! :) I loved reading your story and I really want to come see you and your beautiful girls! (and Brock)
Post a Comment