Friday, January 21, 2011

My grandma.

My Grandma Lang passed away in October. I have not mentioned it because honestly she deserves words that I can't write. She was a huge part of my life and I owe her so much. I flew down for her funeral and arrived just as a "cousin meeting" was finishing. All of my cousins had told a story about my grandma and what she meant to them. I literally walked in the door and my mother, who was at the microphone, said, "Oh good, Chanell come up and tell us a story about Grandma Lang." I was not prepared and mumbled out something about grilled cheese sandwiches and canned peaches. It was lame.
Today, Tessa got on top of Brock's desk and threw everything she could reach onto the floor- this coming just a few days after Brock spent hours organizing it. As I was stacking up papers I came across a letter to Elder Reichner from my Grandma Lang. I knew this letter existed, but I had never actually seen or read it.
But it goes like this:
***
Dear Elder Reichner,
I really enjoyed your letter and hearing about your mission. It sounds like you are having some great spiritual experiences. I am sure it was an interesting experience to work with the people in Africa and with your special spirit you accomplished much good.
I have a pretty quiet life. Go to the temple whenever I can and do water aerobics everyday plus baseball games. Zach and Jordan both play so we spend quite a lot of time at the ball field but it is fun to watch them play. We are fast approaching summer. It is starting to get warm. Everything is green and beautiful. I love this time of year.
I guess you have probably heard that Chanell's wedding is off. After much thought and prayer she decided it would be a huge mistake to go through with it so they called it off.
I was a little relieved since I had hoped maybe you and Chanell would get together. I don't know what the future holds, but I want you to know I will always think of you as part of our family and would be honored to have you call me Grandma.
Keep up the good work and may our Father in Heaven bless you as you serve him and the people of Portugal. I know you are a great missionary.
Love,
Grandma Lang
***
Now I knew she had written Brock. I knew he had received her letter before he received my letter. I also knew the only reason I had written Brock was because my Grandma wouldn't let me leave her house until I did and when I came out for breakfast I found a notepad, pen, envelope and stamps. She even had his address for me. I of course was a little embarrassed and didn't intend to write because I was SURE he didn't want to hear from me.
But little did I know that my Grandma had written him and told him she was "relieved" because she "had hoped" we would get together!!! How in the world did she have the nerve? And the wording, it's absolutely perfect. She's a matchmaking genius!
Brock has always said that if it wasn't for my Grandma, we would have never ended up together. But I really had no idea.
I love my Grandma Lang so much. I cannot express what she means to me. She was such an amazing example for me growing up and such a strength in my life. I am thankful for every gift she gave me, but especially for Brock... and all those grilled cheese sandwiches and peaches too.

3 comments:

Shane, Liz and all the Crew said...

those words were perfect! You have the knack for telling a story!
Hope you feel better soon!

love,
Liz Beus

Darci said...

Grandma Lang was an amazing person! Everyone who knew her was blessed. I have a lot of fond memories of her and her house. If fact the first time we met playing beauty pageant or something with Angie and Rachel was at grandma Lang's.

Chanell said...

I remember playing beauty pageant. I think Rachel and Angie got in a fight over who won the pageant! That was awesome.