Sunday, August 29, 2010

Funny Feelings.

So tonight was our "Back to School Feast."
(Which surprisingly turned out pretty good even though I came home from Church and felt like whipping together a batch of bean burritos. It's all about fighting through fatigue and sticking to the original plan- and delegating the mashed potatoes to Brock- super good job Brock- you are the best mashed potato maker I know- Idaho Boy.)
After dinner, Brock gave the girls a father's blessing for the new school year.
After Kate's blessing she came over to me with a very solemn expression.
I picked her up and gave her a big hug.
I told her that was a very special blessing and that mommy and daddy loved her so much.
She said, "Mom, I had a feeling."
I immediately start thinking about all those talks I've been reading about "helping children to recognize the spirit."
I said, "Kate, that feeling is the Holy Ghost."
She looked at me a little confused.
I said, "Did you have a happy feeling in your heart?"
She said, "I had a feeling in my tummy and it went up to my mouth."
Brock said, "Like a hiccup?"
Kate said, "Ya."
I said "Oh, a hiccup. Ya, that feeling is not the Holy Ghost. That's just a hiccup."
Then I laughed until I started to cry.
Speaking of crying,
Annie's big day is tomorrow.
I can't believe it.
It's crazy though, with Annie, I never know how to feel about these things.
It reminds me of when she was born. 
I honestly didn't even know what to do with her, where to put her, I didn't even know what it felt like to be a mother. I was just confused.
Tomorrow is a big day for her and a big day for me.
I have all these conflicting feelings.
I am thrilled with the idea of a bit more freedom every morning- 
that I don't have to worry about her being bored.
But then I find myself worrying if her kindergarten teacher is really, actually qualified enough to teach.
(She has her masters and taught special ed for 9 years. And this coming from the girl who "home-preschooled her kid. Like I was qualified at all for that.)
I am excited for tomorrow to come.
I know she will love it.
I know I will love it.
I am just not exactly sure how to "feel" about it all.


But I do know that Kate will feel a little sad.
She is losing her best friend all morning.
(Who is she supposed to fight with now?)
<<<>>>
See you tomorrow with some first day of school pictures.
I"m sure you can't wait.

3 comments:

Cheryl Ann Rose said...

I can't wait!! Give them both big hugs for me.

Jay Jay said...

Kate had a feeling...that is the absolute cutest thing I ever heard and I couldn't help but burst out laughing in the middle of the computer lab as I read that. ha ha

Katherine said...

Beautiful pictures! I have loved school. It gives routine to my day - my kids don't fight "as much" when they are together and Ally loves school. If she didn't like it - I think it would be hard. She will do great. (love the hiccup story - classic)