I don't mind sprinting-
but jogging or trotting or long distance running...
hate it.
For me,
pregnancy is kind of like running
a long way
every day- for a long time-
like 9 months.
I should not complain.
I don't have any life threatening conditions for me or my baby.
I don't need hospital stays or IV's or anything like that.
I just feel miserable a lot-
and not like myself.
What gets me is the LENGTH of time I feel this way.
I think it messes with my head.
So the weeks before the delivery were very
anxious days for me.
I felt really tired- tired from the long run.
I wondered if I would be able to do it...
deliver a baby.
Brock assured me he had full confidence in me.
My mom reminded me that wimpy girls have babies all the time.
But I wasn't so sure everything was going to go well.
Plus- you have to remember I had the
crazy idea
of not getting an epidural.
You see I have no problems with modern medicine.
In fact Brock said that by not taking advantage of the advances of technology
we might be offending the pioneers.
They sacrificed a lot so that we could have epidurals.
BUT, I have bad reactions to pain medication
AND I am allergic to the tape they put on your back.
So I didn't want it, but had not ruled it out.
After starting the pitocin, the dr. broke my water.
Everything was going smoothly-
I was handling it like a champ. A REAL CHAMP.
Then it started to get really intense- not that much fun anymore.
The nurse told me if I wanted the epidural
I needed to get it right now.
I told her with tears in my eyes that
I didn't want to do this anymore.
She thought I meant natural labor and said she could call the anaesthesiologist.
I meant I didn't want to do
LABOR
anymore.
I wanted to go home.
I was tired, and did I mention it wasn't fun anymore?
Then I got tunnel vision-
I was afraid- I knew in my mind I wasn't going to die,
but it really felt like I might die.
I don't remember much about the next few minutes.
All I know is the doctor made it in time to catch my baby.
And then it was over.
Except it wasn't
because I had a beautiful baby girl.
A beautiful, LOUD baby girl.
But she was healthy and she was here.
And I did it.
I made it through something that is so hard for me.
I made it with the help of a lot of people-
but mostly Brock.
Not only did he help me through these long months-
he didn't leave me for someone who is nice and cooks and cleans.
He is a good husband.
Later that day,
I was holding Tessa and thinking about how happy I was she is here.
It's a miracle to me that something so hard
can bring about something so beautiful.
I love her so much and
I am proud of myself.
I did it.


9 comments:
Way to go! And no epidural? I have NO idea how you did that after a loonnng and exhausting pregnancy. You ARE a champ. Congrats. She is darling:)
That is so great that you were able to do it, you are one strong woman. Congratulations on your great accomplishment.
Holy Crap! You did it! I am in total awe, and shock, but really happy for you. So happy that everything worked out perfectly. Tessa is lucky! Love you girl!!
do you have an abnormally high tolerance to pain? amazing.
can't wait to babysit the three of them.
Hooray! Good work, woman! I love that your mom said even wimpy girls have babies all the time--so funny. It hurts like hell! Fin came with no epidural either, but not because that's the way I planned it, it just wouldn't work because it was too late. But you're right, they're so precious and wonderful and somehow the pain is forgotten all too quickly. I think you're tough because you wanted to do it medicine free and you actually did it! Can you imagine how painful it is for your baby being squished from every angle? Glad I don't remember that...
Congrats! She's so adorable! And yes, thank goodness for good husbands who don't leave us when we're out of our minds.
That post made me cry. Wow
You are my hero. Thanks for letting me experience a miracle. Tessa is a lucky girl to have you for a mom.
Way to go Chanell! I am really proud of you. See, it doesn't take a she-woman to do it med-free, we all have the ability. But you described conflicting emotions perfectly. I am at that point right now, wondering why I wanted to deal with the sickness again, but I do know it will be worth it. I also wonder if I can do it natural again. Like maybe last time was just a fluke?!?!
Congrats! She is so sweet!! And, I was so anxious to see what you would name her..how do you follow Kate and Annie? Two of my favorite names, and Tessa is just as cute, I was impressed, I love it!
I can't even believe you made it all natural. You better believe if I ever did that, I would have a plaque or something hanging in the front of my house. Or this would be my last blog post ever, so everyone would not forget about it. You are amazing, I have never even thought about doing that, way too much of a wimp, and my husband would probably run because he 'doesnt' like the hospital' and I'd be all alone. So, props to Brock!
Post a Comment