Sunday, May 3, 2009

Annie is a year (& 6 weeks) older...

So in the chaos of getting home from a long vacation and Kate getting pneumonia, Annie turned FOUR YEARS OLD! We did celebrate- not the usual killer party way- but the event did include cupcakes and presents and balloons. Annie informed me after that she would have rather had a birthday cake, but thanks anyways for the cupcakes. I will not bore you with the details of her disappointing party, but I will tell you a few things I love about this little girl.

She is a girl I can understand- probably because our personalities are very similar. She is a high stress, over achieving girly that likes to tell people what to do. The day she turned around and said to 6 adults and two kids, "Hurry guys. We are gonna be LATE!" I knew we were two peas in a pod.
She is sweet and good-hearted- for this I must give credit to her look-alike father. One day I was feeling a little under the weather and was laying down on the couch. I asked her to take Kate and play in the toy room and she said, "But then who will take care of you?"
She loves being a big sister- even though I think that goes under the whole like to be in charge thing. But even in all her bossy glory, Kate loves her and is distraught if Annie ever leaves. Annie plays with Kate all day- they even conspire against me. Yesterday I yelled upstairs and told them to get their pajamas on. They whispered a little and then Annie said, "OK" and then snickered. Kate said, "OK" and then laughed too. And then ran back to the toy room. Really funny.
Annie is a smarty-pants and proud of it. She loves preschool and is learning so fast. Today I asked her how old she would be when Kate was four and she said six... how about when Kate is five...she said seven...how about when Kate is eight... I'll be twenty-one. Not quite little girl.

I still remember the morning after she was born. The night had been a blur and all I could remember that after a torturous 18 hours of labor there was a baby girl and crackers...really excited about the crackers. The nurse woke me up and asked me if I wanted her to bring the baby in. I told her that it was ok. I would get up and go see her. She looked at me like I was crazy. I put on Brock's BYU sweatshirt and my pink flip flops and slowly walked to the nursery windows to see my baby. I'll never forget that moment. I saw this little baby with crazy black hair and something in me changed. I walked back to my room and called the nurse. "You can bring my baby in now." It was that moment I became a mother.

Annie is a tough, lovable, smart, sneaky and resilient little girl... which is good because as my first child she desperately needs all those qualities. She has taught me how to be a mother and everyday she and her co-conspirator teach me how to be a better mother. I'm a lucky girl to have these little girls in my life.
Happy Birthday (6 weeks ago)

"E"
"Annie-Bananie"
"Banana Pants"
"E-nnie"
"Annie-girl"


We love you so much!

3 comments:

Cheryl Ann Rose said...

That was great. Annie is an amazing, sweet, wonderful, bright, caring, creative, bossy girl, just like her mom. I love watching her. It's like a glimpse in the past. When you wonder what to do with her at times, just remember that she will turn into an incredible woman just like her mom

Angela and Mike said...

Happy birthday to Annie. That was a great description of Annie, and wow, she does look just like brock. I actually didn't notice before! haha, I get a kick of thinking of her and Kate upstairs conspiring against you at bedtime!

Cummards said...

I really can't believe she is six. In my mind I will always picture her being the little 1 or 2 year old from when you guys were around! Her and Kate sound like the bittersweetness that sums up kids! They drive you crazy, but you love them for those same reasons!