Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Friends

On my 20th birthday my amazing friend, Lisa, gave me this quote:
"We think we have chosen our peers.
In reality, a few more differences in the dates of our births,
a few more miles between certain houses,
the choice of one university over another,
the accident of a topic being raised or not being raised at first meeting-
any of these chances might have kept us apart.
But for a Christian, there are, strictly speaking,
no chances.
A secret Master of Ceremonies has been at work.
Christ, who said to the disciples,
"Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you,"
can truly say to every Christian group of friends,
"You have not chosen one another, but I have chosen you for one another."
Friendship is not a reward for our discriminating and good taste in finding one another out.
It is the instrument by which God reveals to each the beauty of others.
-CS Lewis

As I read this quote I think how lucky I am to have so many amazing friends. Your
friendships
large or small
have helped to shape who I am.

I am prouder of some experiences and qualities than I am of others- the fact that I know some of the lyrics to Britney Spears album that came out in 2003 and my obsession with Friends even through the raunchy years are not two of my favorites. There was also a few water ballooning experiences as well as frequent trips "cruising the boulevard" and one very exciting police chase. (remind me to come erase this when my kids are old enough to read).
And, of course, Brock is no exception either- I only have to type 4 letters:
o
m
n
i.
But those same friends who hauled him, unwillingly I'm sure, to go dancing are the same who left for missions and wrote to him his freshman year of college. When he turned 19 that summer, he could not wait to enter the MTC and join his buddies in the field.
I have friends who have been there for me throughout my life. They have taught me important things like:
-how to cook
-how to catch horny-toads
-how to plant a garden
-how to blog
-how to rat my bangs (another that I probably could have passed on)
-how to survive 6 knee surgeries in 3 years
-how to write a play and then perform it of course
-how to see the good in myself
-how to survive in a new place without my mom and dad
-how to survive having your best friend/boyfriend leave on a mission
-how to be brave and go to that same guy's homecoming when he
might actually hate you
-how to be ready for our honeymoon :)
-how you'll never be ready to deliver your first baby
-how to love life and enjoy the good
-how to get through the bad so I can look back and learn something from it
I could go on and on, but I think you get the point.

I just want to say I agree with Mr. Lewis. I do believe that you have been chosen for me- that I was meant to meet you and know you and go to school with you and play ball with you and live in your neighborhood and become friends with all of you. I am so amazed at the lives that you live and the way your friendship makes me want to be better and try harder. I hope that I can do the same for you. Because I too believe that:
"Friendship...
is the
instrument
by which God reveals to each
the beauties of others."
And I must say you are all so beautiful!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

That is an awesome post. I think it is important to try and be friends with everyone. Obviously though there will be people who you just click with better and who will be the type of friends that you trust, that you know accept you for who and what you are and that will be there in your hour of need. These are the friends that I cherish. I will be a friend to everyone, but a deep friendship is one I truly cherish.

Hil said...

Ok, so I randomly found your blog. Chanell, do you remember me? Hilary Izatt. Dude, it's been sooooo long! How are you? looks like you are doing well, honestly your kids are so cute.
anyways, I dont really have a blog, but you should email me sometime. hil2korea@gmail.com

Hope to hear from you,

Hil

k8theriver said...

well, since we are family i guess we are even more obligated to hang out. j/k. i'm glad we're family AND i like you.

Baxter's said...

That is what I call a POST! Amazing. You should've added in your list, "How to be an amazing friend..." Cause somebody taught you that before you walked into my life, and I am so grateful to them...you are the best!

Darci said...

Chanell that was so awesome to read. As I read it I realize even more how much our friendships mean to us and should be remembered. Thank you.

Katherine said...

Thank you so much. I also very much value friendship...especially yours. I feel like paths I have taken have led me to different people. I feel that I was led to find you. I miss you. :)