So for those of you who saw the picture in the paper, here is the short version of the story. After the game the UNLV fans are all trying to rush the floor after repeated announcements to stay off. (I wouldn't mind the floor rushing- I understand the tradition, but it really makes it feel like a home game for UNLV- which it is!) The fans see the ushers not allowing them onto the floor and become even more determined/violent to get on the court. I am watching the student section of UNLV on the verge of trampling 4 or 5 ushers and then I see one crazy guy coming down the stairs (we are in the middle of the BYU section, sitting behind President Samuelson- he had already left the arena thank goodness) The usher tells him he can't go on the floor. The crazy tries to go past him and the usher puts his hand on his chest and tells him he can't go on the floor. The crazy proceeds to throw the usher down and starts kicking him. Brock sees all of this and runs down the 3 rows to grab the guy. Other BYU fans are trying to restrain him and the dude loses it and starts going after everyone. Brock gets him restrained and the guy keeps yelling "I'm cool, I'm cool" So Brock tells him to get out of there and the crazy starts going up the stairs. Someone pushed him as he was going up the stairs and he turns around and starts going after Brock. I see the guy and think he is on drugs. I'm a little nervous that he's going to swing and hit Brock, so I take it upon myself to distract him. I am holding Kate though so that puts me at a disadvantage with only one free arm. The guy starts running down the stairs after Brock and I reach out and grab his shirt thinking he won't hit me, I'm a girl. Then he looks at me and I realized he would probably hit a girl. Not too smart on my part, but I did distract him and he finally went up the stairs with no punches thrown. It sounds funny now, but it freaked me out at the time. My hands were shaking for the rest of the night. A couple BYU fans weren't as lucky and actually did get hit. Tim LaComb's brother in law had his nose broken and had to get stitches. He was with his pregnant wife and two year old when a guy came over and hit him in the face. At the time it felt really close to turning into a full blown riot. Those dudes were crazy! Beer was thrown at people. Much taunting and screaming and hand signals were passed around. On the way to the car UNLV fans told us to go run to our temple. So that was the freak show after the game. And that is the short story behind the picture. Too bad for the guys, I think they just ran out of energy. Three games in three days and then to have to beat the home team in the championship is tough. I thought they had a great weekend though and can't wait for the NCAA's. Good Luck guys!
Monday, March 17, 2008
March Mayhem
So for those of you who saw the picture in the paper, here is the short version of the story. After the game the UNLV fans are all trying to rush the floor after repeated announcements to stay off. (I wouldn't mind the floor rushing- I understand the tradition, but it really makes it feel like a home game for UNLV- which it is!) The fans see the ushers not allowing them onto the floor and become even more determined/violent to get on the court. I am watching the student section of UNLV on the verge of trampling 4 or 5 ushers and then I see one crazy guy coming down the stairs (we are in the middle of the BYU section, sitting behind President Samuelson- he had already left the arena thank goodness) The usher tells him he can't go on the floor. The crazy tries to go past him and the usher puts his hand on his chest and tells him he can't go on the floor. The crazy proceeds to throw the usher down and starts kicking him. Brock sees all of this and runs down the 3 rows to grab the guy. Other BYU fans are trying to restrain him and the dude loses it and starts going after everyone. Brock gets him restrained and the guy keeps yelling "I'm cool, I'm cool" So Brock tells him to get out of there and the crazy starts going up the stairs. Someone pushed him as he was going up the stairs and he turns around and starts going after Brock. I see the guy and think he is on drugs. I'm a little nervous that he's going to swing and hit Brock, so I take it upon myself to distract him. I am holding Kate though so that puts me at a disadvantage with only one free arm. The guy starts running down the stairs after Brock and I reach out and grab his shirt thinking he won't hit me, I'm a girl. Then he looks at me and I realized he would probably hit a girl. Not too smart on my part, but I did distract him and he finally went up the stairs with no punches thrown. It sounds funny now, but it freaked me out at the time. My hands were shaking for the rest of the night. A couple BYU fans weren't as lucky and actually did get hit. Tim LaComb's brother in law had his nose broken and had to get stitches. He was with his pregnant wife and two year old when a guy came over and hit him in the face. At the time it felt really close to turning into a full blown riot. Those dudes were crazy! Beer was thrown at people. Much taunting and screaming and hand signals were passed around. On the way to the car UNLV fans told us to go run to our temple. So that was the freak show after the game. And that is the short story behind the picture. Too bad for the guys, I think they just ran out of energy. Three games in three days and then to have to beat the home team in the championship is tough. I thought they had a great weekend though and can't wait for the NCAA's. Good Luck guys!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
that's an awesome picture. he was on a mission. MUST RUSH FLOOR!
Your life always has these exciting out-takes. I am glad no one was hurt!
Congrats to BYU...You know I am not a big fan but since you are, I have a reason to cheer quietly. :)
Wow, I can't believe how crazy it got! I can't imagine how I would have reacted, I would have probably started throwing punches myself, haha! I hope Derek e-mailing you that article didn't bother you, I thought he was a little dumb for doing so, since you've probably had tons of other people call or e-mail it to you. Oh, and my favorite part of that picture is the old guy in the red who looks like he's out cold, or just trying to pretend he's not there. Well, I'm glad you are all ok!
I saw that picture in the paper the day after and thought to myself, "Well, it's good to see that Brock is still playing D on those Rebels!"
And then my second thought was just how ridiculous it is that the tourney is at the T&M. It's so frustrating.
I'm glad you guys are okay. I read Angela's blog about the event and I was hoping you guys, your mom, and Taylor were okay.
So I've been talking smack to all my buddies from A&M back home...this is the year!
I was curious to hear from you how it went down...it was so crazy watching it all go down from my side of the section. I blogged about it as well from my perspective...but I didn't know exactly how it went down. That's when Mike freaked...when he saw the guy kinda going at you. At least you know that Mike has got your back.
Way to Keep it Reichner and protect the geezers;) Yes, that guy definitely looks like a menace to society. Thank you for your service!
wow, Chanell, that's nuts! Go Brock!
Way to go Reichner's you saved the day! Or someones life. Congrats to your dad and his success we love to follow him and we wish him the best of luck. And we are currently defending him with a certain crazy monday morning quarterback in our ward who thinks he knows better than Coach Rose how to coach the boyz!
Don't judge all the Rebels you know based on the actions of those idiots!!! I am glad you guys are all okay. Ryan has been dying to talk to Brock to see what really happened. On a happier note, I saw you all on TV and you looked fabulous.
Ahhh! I would have been shaking so bad. I am glad you are all ok - and glad to see that Brock saved the day! :)
Maybe now they will move the tourney away from UNLV.
Call me when you get a free minute! Go Cougars!
Way to go Brock! You totally represented! I love the picture! Lance was there, and said it was crazy. Glad no one got hurt! Love you guys!
Nate and Jordan said it was awesome. --Good for Brock to step in.
You are a brave woman!! That is a crazy story though!
Can't believe that we missed out on that one. It looks like you had a great time in Vegas. We should have come down but skyler was out of town and my friend was here from utah. We miss you guys. Buy had a great season! tell your dad congrats for us.-the clevelands
Post a Comment