Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Up in Flames

Many of you know that Brock is the BBQ king. I have encouraged this talent because it means that I don't cook- in fact I bought him a BBQ for his first Father's Day realizing the benefits it would bring me. He's a master at it all- chicken, steak, shishkabobs, hamburgers... whatever I request he grills it up.
Tonight it was turkey burgers. He had finished up the meat and was toasting the buns when he comes in and calmly informs me that the grill is on fire. I calmly think he meant the buns were on fire and go outside to see the ENTIRE BBQ is on FIRE. I run and grab the hose, but then hesitate because I don't want to blow up when the propane tank explodes. So I start spraying from a distance and Brock grabs it from me and very fireman like soaks the grill- buns and all.
I was screaming some gibberish about explosion and propane and he turned around calmly and said I already turned the tank off.
Once the fire was out and the smoke cleared, he explained what had happened. When he took the buns out, he noticed some flames, but thought it was just burning fat from the burgers. It started getting bigger faster so he reached down and turned off the propane tank. He came inside to get some water to put it out and within seconds that puppy was UP IN FLAMES so the hose was the best option.
I looked at my singed and blackened husband and couldn't believe that he had the presence of mind to turn off the propane tank. I know I would have PANICKED. Even if I thought of it I would have been too freaked to do it and would have just evacuated... screaming for everyone to clear the area. He is so calm and level headed in these kind of situations... it blows my mind.
We are all OK- well except for the grill. It has seen it's last day on the job. Brock hands were all black and after running them under cold water he has 4 or 5 blisters and one really nasty one. He keeps playing the tough guy card and telling me his hands don't hurt, but I catch him looking at them and grimacing. When he reached down to turn off the tank burning drops of oil dripped on his hand. It's not pretty, but don't worry about him- he is getting the hero's treatment here.

"Hey babe, do you think while you're running cold water on your hands you could load the dishwasher?" :)

Brock- Thank you for saving the patio, the kitchen wall and our lives. I must say you are one HOT fireman. We will be replacing this BBQ with a nice, new, expensive, top of the line grill- you know the kind that doesn't catch on fire.

8 comments:

Angela and Mike said...

Wow, I can't believe it caught on fire! Mike just got a grill too. You don't think it'll happen to him right? That'd be like lightening striking the same person twice. haha.

I'm glad he's okay. I'm also glad he is getting the hero treatment :) He deserves it. Miss you guys!

Kim said...

How scary and funny. I am so glad that everyone and everything (minus the grill) are all right. I too would have been freaking out. Now everytime I grill I will think of this story.

Katherine said...

lol - I am glad you are all ok and because you are all ok - that is hilarious. I would have loved to see you all in action - including Chanell freaking out! :)

Way to go Brock - I really do hope your hands are ok! Great Story - thanks for sharing - I am getting mad at the Jazz Game, so you made me laugh - thanks.

Michelle said...

That is a great visual, but so sad about your grill.

Ryan and Angela said...

Oh my goodness. I am glad everything worked out okay. When you do get that new grill, I will be expecting a phone call inviting us over for dinner. :)

Cheryl Ann Rose said...

I'm afraid you get your overactive fear of explosions from your mother. I always think everything is going to blow up. Sorry about that. Hope Brock is ok. I want pictures.

Baxter's said...

You really are one of the funniest people I have ever met. I needed a good laugh, and that did it. Well, I also feel bad for Brock. Sorry dude. But Chanell, seriously, you should consider being a writer.

Marc said...

That's Brock, level headed as ever, never any doubt, I attribute it to our foul shot games we played in high school trying to get each other to miss. Brock never flinched!